Princess Charlene of Monaco spent Easter with her family after being hospitalised in South Africa due to an unknown illness.
“Happy Easter,” she captioned a photo of herself, Prince Albert II, and their 7-year-old twins, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, smiling near a basket with a white rabbit on Instagram on Sunday.
Charlene, 44, shared more photographs of her family on her Instagram Story, including one of them attending Easter Mass with chaplain Père Penzo in the Palace of Monaco’s private chapel.
Since August 2021, the family portrait is the first official photo to be released.
Charlene “nearly died” in South Africa, according to Page Six, after undergoing many surgeries and losing a significant amount of weight.
Friends were concerned that Albert, 64, had downplayed his wife’s sickness following an interview in November in which he said she had gone to rehab upon her return to the principality.
One source told us, “It is unjust that she is being depicted as having some type of mental or emotional issue.” “We’re not sure why the palace is downplaying the fact that she was nearly killed in South Africa.”
Charlene had severe ear, nose, and throat infections, which caused in “sinus and swallowing complications stemming from an earlier surgery,” according to the source.
“Because of all the surgeries she’s had since then, she hasn’t been able to consume solid food in almost six months,” the insider claimed. “She dropped nearly half her body weight since she could only drink liquids through a straw.”
Concerns about Charlene’s alarming weight loss began when she shared a photo of herself on Oct. 2, followed by an announcement on Nov. 19 that she would be withdrawing from an official event due to “deep overall tiredness.”
After it became “clear she was unwell” within hours of her return from 10 months in South Africa, Albert informed People magazine that the princess had been admitted to a “treatment facility” outside of Monaco.
Charlene has remained silent about her health.